Friday, December 2, 2011

30 Day Challenge!

So December is finally here and we only have 30 days left until a new year begins!! Are you excited? I am, but I'm always excited lol.  It's true, the little things in life keep me pumped and I want to share that excitement with you.  My latest victory is actually what sparked this idea and I hope everyone joins in so that we can end 2011 with a BANG.

In some ways, I feel like I have serious commitment issues.  I like trying new things, but normally have a hard time sticking to them (sound like any of you out there??).  For instance, working out.  I get the benefits and when I'm actually at the gym or playing some sort of sport, I love how I feel afterwards.  However, it was never enough for me to actually make it a part of my routine.  Until November 1st 2011, I decided to join the Moksha Challenge (insert eery music here).

Envision a studio about 30 x 40 feet, one side covered with mirrors and the room temperature is set at 30 degrees, or maybe even higher.  You basically do a series of 40 postures through out an hour to an hour and a half workout in this heated room.  The idea behind the 30 day challenge is simply doing 30 workouts in 30 days.  We all know life happens and sometimes it's not possible to be there everyday, for instance I had my trip to Toronto IMATS that I was not missing for anyone.  The beauty about the challenge is that you can do a double on a day to compensate for the workout you missed, so do two workouts on one day.

Yes, I took on this challenge and trust me when I say it wasn't easy.  The work outs were awesome but there were days where I was uber tired and not in the mood to go.  That was the hard part, try convincing yourself to go workout when your bed is calling your name hahaha.  On top of that, I was doing the challenge on my own; I mean a lot of people signed up at the studio for the 30 day challenge but I didn't have a friend insight to help kick my butt to class.  Luckily, I am a competitive soul and once I say I'm going to do something, I'll figure out a way =) .  That's the amazing part; I managed and I did it!  Yes, I completed 30 workouts in 30 days.

I learned a lot about myself in the process too.  Making this commitment meant planning, not one of my strong points since I'm kind of a on the whim type of girl.  I would check and recheck the daily schedule and plan which class I would attend.  I would also make sure that there was an extra class afterwards, just in case I needed a nap before my work out.  I also started drinking water a lot earlier in the day since you need to be well hydrated in class and it is recommended not to eat or drink 2 hours before class.  My bag and gear were always in close proximity of each other so that packing for class was fast and easy.  I also started rearranging my plans around my workouts.  As crazy as it may sound, I was determined to do this.

My reward? Besides the treats the trainers gave us after our last class, I have a new respect for my body and willpower.  Like many other women, I've struggled with my weight, which may seem odd since I've always been petite.  However, when you're not tall, weight gain is a lot more noticable.  It also doesn't help that I've danced most of my life and have been told that I need to be skinnier too for music videos and all that jazz.  So looking in the mirror was always a critical thing instead of empowering.  Not anymore, I refuse to let other people determine what my size is especially since I just watched myself over these past 30 days sweat for a healthier, better me.

Sooooo, here is my challenge to you! Pick one thing, anything you like, that you will do for the next 30 days that will benefit you.  For instance, drink more water, tell yourself at least one compliment a day in the mirror, give yourself 5 minutes of "me time" or even start moisturizing your skin.  I'd love to know what you chose and if you see any changes in your being, attitude or how people treat you.  And remember that life happens, if you miss a day, do not beat yourself up for missing one day; just do a double the next day.  Don't wait for SOMEDAY to start taking care of yourself, it's not a day of the week; it's the cry of the weak.

No comments:

Post a Comment